Monday, April 11, 2011

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

When high school junior Natalie--or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper--is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want.

But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected--especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?
(Summary taken from goodreads)


One word: AMAZING! I devoured this book in a day! I couldn’t put it down. I even went out to dinner and ended up taking it with me because I had about twenty pages left and had to know how it ended. This book was fantastic! It was cute, hilarious, and touching all mixed into one.
            The summary does a pretty good job of summing the main idea up, so let’s just get into the characters. Natalie was hilarious! She was down to earth, but at the same time she was a total girly girl. This made it all that much harder trying to stay undercover at a boy’s school. I loved her friends. They were total opposites which only made the story even more hilarious. As for Emilio, he was pretty cool. He was just an overall nice guy. He didn’t judge Nat (the name Natalie takes when she enrolls) and tried to be a good friend. The characters certainly enhanced the story.
            I thought the plot was creative. Sure, it’s been done before, but the way it was done was unique. At times it felt a bit unrealistic, like how easily she enrolled in the school, but the overall story made up for it. Despite, the tiny bits of the story that were unrealistic, it was pretty believable. There were so many times that I thought for sure Natalie’s cover was going to be blown. It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.
            There are so many aspects of this book that I loved. For example, I give Natalie props for having the guts to spend a week at an all guy’s school. Sure, it sounds fun and everything, but when you’re trying to be a guy, well, then it’s a different story. Also, I enjoyed the fact that this book pretty much had a laugh on every page. No, seriously. This book had me laughing out loud more times than I can count.
            My suggestion? Read this book! I got so many comments on my IMM about how many people thought it looked good and you should definitely read it. It’s super cute and if you’re looking for a light read, then it’s perfect. By the way, can I just say how cool the cover is? It’s pretty much what drew me into the book. I love the fake drawn mustache and everything. Anyway, read this book because I guarantee you won’t be disappointed with it :)

7 comments:

  1. Great review, I love the concept of the book. Not to mention the cover is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! This book sounds like so much fun and the cover is what made
    me want to read it in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the cover is awesome! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh ~ i really want to read this one and you have made me want to read it even more! i'm going to have to wait for the paperback release though... (or an Aussie release ~ I don't know if any of our publishers are picking it up. Hmm...)

    LOVED your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I soo wanna read this one! And, yes, the cover is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shaylene :) I am going to add you to my blog's reading list. I am inspired by your devotion to finding a good book! I only find a book I get that "cant put it down" feeling with every so often but I feel like I can get there better after your reviews! You find the book and I will make the snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been drawn to this cover for awhile now, but I've struggled to move it up in the TBR list for some reason. After reading such a glowing review, I may have to do just that! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! You've just made my day :)