Saturday, April 9, 2011

Aries Rising by Bonnie Hearn Hill

         Aquarius Logan McRae is a high school sophomore in Terra Bella Beach, CA and has been working all semester to impress her teachers in order to get into the summer writing camp she desperately wants to attend. But when this ordinary girl finds an extraordinary book, Fearless Astrology, her life is changed forever. Applying what she’s learned about the zodiac, she lands her own column in the school paper and a date with the hottest guy in school!
          But when Logan threatens to catch the members of a secret society called The Gears, who have been vandalizing school property by reading the stars, she quickly learns that she is in over her head. Will Logan be able to catch The Gears, save her love life, keep her newspaper column, and get into the writing camp of her dreams all through the use of astrology? (Summary taken from goodreads)

            This was one of those books that I just happened to find by chance at the library while I was browsing the shelves. I’ve always been interested in astrology, because I find it really fascinating that a person’s astrological sign can predict some of their characteristics. So, I figured I might as well give this book a shot. My expectations weren’t that high and it ended up surprising me. I actually thought it was great!
            Basically, Logan McRae is going through some of her mom’s old stuff and she finds this book called Fearless Astrology. Curious, she borrows it and finds it really fascinating. She’s also trying to get into this writing camp, but she needs her teacher, Mr. Franklin, or Frankenstein as she calls him, to approve of her writing. So, she starts using astrology to figure people out. Find out what they like and use it to her advantage. Surprisingly, it ends up working!
            The book certainly wasn’t perfect, but it had its good points. Like the main character Logan McRae for example. Or should I say Logan and her two best friends Chili and Paige. Talk about a tight bond! These girls had each other’s backs no matter what. I really respected the fact that Chili and Paige were so supportive of Logan and her new found love for astrology. As much as I enjoyed Logan and her friends, I disliked The Gears. Miss Hill never explains why they were called The Gears and overall, they just felt totally out of place in the story.
       The plot itself was great! Miss Hill really went in depth when describing different signs. It was interesting and I actually learned a lot from it. The only aspect I disliked was the fact that astrology seemed to take over Logan’s life. It seemed to sway everything she did and she almost became obsessed with it. I understand that the whole book is about astrology, it just seemed to go a little bit overboard at times.
            Anyway, I would recommend this book to anyone who’s interested in astrology. It truly is fascinating and quite helpful as well. This book is also good if you’re looking for a cute romance. It wasn’t really my favorite book of all time, but it was a quick, delightful read :)

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog through another blog and I am loving it! I think I love reading just as much as you! You should join our book club- Id love to have your book suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one before- but it sounds good. Awesome review, Shaylene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Diary of a Scatterbrain Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it :)

    @ Sarah Lydia Thanks! I hadn't heard of it either. I just sort of stumbled upon it. It's really disappointing because there are two other books in the series that are out and I can't find them anywhere! But I digress. Thanks again for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! You've just made my day :)