Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?" (Summary taken from goodreads)

             The story was amazing. Eddie is this grumpy, old man, who has pretty much given up in life. He has a limp leg from being shot during war, his wife died years ago, and he’s been working at the same amusement park for as long as he can remember. Then, one day, as he was going along his normal routine, a cable on one the ride snaps and the cart comes hurtling to the ground. There’s just one thing standing in its path. A little girl. As Eddie jumps underneath to save her, he risks his own life. Now in heaven, he meets five people who each teach him a different, but important lesson that proves that he had a purpose in life.         
            The Five People You Meet in Heaven is such a deep and meaningful book. Albom crafted a well written story that had me hooked from the beginning. Each character was unique and interesting. I enjoyed how Eddie met all of these different people who each taught him a lesson. Each of the five people he met, he either knew or somehow indirectly affected their life without actually knowing it. The characters were interesting and I liked the perspective Albom gave them. Each character gave their own story and then showed Eddie what role they played in his life.
            I loved the plot because I thought it was extremely original. It was interesting to consider the idea of meeting five people in heaven who teach you a lesson. As I read, I wondered, if I was in heaven, who would my five people be? Would one be a family member, a friend, someone I had met briefly, or a complete stranger whose life I impacted in some way, shape or form? It’s one of those ideas that are interesting to think about.
            There was no set setting. Each time Eddie moved from person to person, the setting would change. I enjoyed the change in settings though, because it added to the story. The reader gets to experience this new experience as Eddie was experiencing it himself (if that makes any sense at all). Still, it was very enjoyable.
            Overall, this book touched my heart. It had me laughing at times and crying at others. It’s a quick read, but I think it’s good for people of all ages. Not only is it a great story, but it has such a deep meaning too. I would definitely suggest this book. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. You know I lpve this book :) And you new blog design!! =O so cool! Ha, ha. Thanks for checking out Keane . . . I love their music. They're just an amazing band. Anyway, I'll be back home soon so we can talk, and I just got my hair cut!!!! It's short ;P Miss you, say hi to the fam! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sonny Haha, I wrote this review because we had been talking about it and I realized how much I really did love this book :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! You've just made my day :)