Friday, January 28, 2011

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Kyle Kingsbury is the perfect guy. He relies on his popularity and good looks (and his father’s money) for everything in life. Then, one day, a witch curses him. He gets transformed into an ugly, hairy, monster that is suppose represent what he’s like on the inside. In order to break the spell, he must find love before time runs out, otherwise, he will remain a beast for the rest of his life. Will he be able to break the curse?
            I know, I know, not the best description in the world, but I really don’t want to give away too much in this review. It’s much better to read it and find out what happens for yourself. From the moment I started this book, I couldn’t put it down. It was as though I was trapped in a spell. Alex Flinn did a wonderful job of taking a classic story, Beauty and the Beast, and putting a modern spin on it. Almost everyone knows the tale of Beauty and the Beast, although most people only know the Disney version. However, the original is in French and is titled La Belle et La Bête. Her novel relates more with the original French version (which, if you get the opportunity to read it, you really should. I was fortunate enough to read an adapted version of the original, en Français nonetheless) than the Disney version. Nonetheless, it is a great book. The characters are all well written. To be honest, I found Kyle to be a bit obnoxious and egocentric in the beginning of the novel, but I’m sure that was the attitude the Flinn was aiming for. Since, after all, he was supposed to be pretty shallow and self-centered. As the book continued though, and Kyle spent more and more time as a beast, I began to sympathize and relate to him more. I thought the story line was fantastic. There wasn’t a dull moment at all. I was slightly disappointed with the ending. Flinn led up to the final moment so dramatically, that the climax fell short for me. Still, that didn’t stop me from loving this book. I would certainly suggest it for anyone looking for a good read. It’s a great young adult novel that is easy to get through and follow. I definitely give Beastly two thumbs up, so be sure to check it out :)

Also, I’m super excited to say that Beastly is going to be a movie! It premieres in March and you can bet that I’m going to see it! After enjoying the book so much, I hope I won’t be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shay! I really love your blog so far it's super pretty and suits you perfectly! :) I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! You've just made my day :)